Tuesday, October 25, 2011

What writing routine?

I know a lot people that have a certain routine they must follow in order to be able to write. Their outline has to be right in front of them, music has to be on, kids have to be asleep, they need to sit in a certain spot, they can only write from so and so time, etc... My question is how they hell do they do it?

Authors who can write with outlines and always know where your story is going to go, damn, I applaud you! I tried it once, and it went to hell and back faster than I could blink. Outlines and I do not get along, and honestly, I love it that way. I love not knowing where the story is going until my fingers hit the keyboard and it just takes me away. And I'm also very lucky that I work with such great people who don't need an outline from me or else we'd all be screwed.

I can can work with my kids running around and screaming bloody murder at each other. In fact, I tend to write better when they are around creating mayhem than I do when all is quiet. I can't write with music on, however, unless I'm writing a scene that requires a little musical inspiration. Otherwise it has to be off or I get distracted by singing along and before you know it I'm typing the song.

This one might be weird, but I have to have my hair pulled back when I work. I have no idea why, but I hate it hanging in my face when I'm writing. I can write pretty much anywhere, and at anytime (as long as the ideas are flowing) but the hair must be in a ponytail.

All my ideas seem to come while I'm in the shower. Seriously, I have done most of my best thinking in there. The problem? By the time I get out I've forgotten half of what I was thinking about.

I used to have to write - as in hand write - all my chapters before typing them on the computer. It was my way to do the first edit, but I just recently stopped that. I blame my new laptop that you really have to pry out of my hands at any point because we are now one.

Writing routines are pretty much like outlines for me. I don't have them. If I tried to have a routine I'm pretty sure I'd never write again just for the mere fact I hate putting myself on a timetable/schedule to write at this time, for this long, with no distractions, blah, blah, blah. I have two kids who I raise alone. My life is full of distractions and routines are shot to hell.

And you know? I wouldn't have it any other way.

1 comment:

  1. LOL...good for you. I get to sucked into the story and forget to actually supervise when my kids are up which is why I wait until they are out or otherwise occupied with another responsible adult. LOL. I totally get the shower thing. My best stuff came to me in the shower...I can usually get most of it down after, but it's never quite as good as it seemed when my hair was full of suds. LOL

    ReplyDelete