Friday, August 10, 2012

Those "dreaded" ratings and reviews


To say that I’m excited about the reviews I’ve gotten for Risking It All would be an understatement. Sure, they haven’t all been 5 stars, but it’s still thrilling to see so many people have read it or put it on their to-read list.

I was asked today how I feel about the 1 and 2 star reviews. I’m pretty sure the person was expecting the “it sucks” answer. But does it really suck?

 Am I disappointed that those people didn’t like the book? Sure. As an author you hope that everyone is going to fall in love with your work. Except… that’s not realistic, is it? Even the most popular books/authors have people who dislike or downright hate them. So yes, getting a bad review is part of the job. But it’s not the end of the world. I can’t please everybody, right? And by getting those “bad” reviews it actually helps me see what I’m doing wrong and how I can change it and make my next book that much better.

So how do I feel about those stars that just don’t make it past second? Disappointed? Of course. I think all authors are. Discouraged? Meh, not so much anymore. Angry? Not a chance. It’s not something to be mad about. People get pissed at each other all the time for lying, so why would I be angry by the truth? Yes, it’s personal when someone says they don’t like what you’ve done but not enough to get defensive and pissed. It’s their opinion, something everyone is entitled to.

In the end, it really just comes down to me being happy with what I’ve done. After all, I did this to prove to myself I could. I’ll take what the reviewers have to say about my books (good or bad) and move on˗˗appreciating each and every single one of you along the way.

0 comments:

Post a Comment